Click to jump to our most frequently asked questions:
1. How old do I need to be to drive a rental vehicle?
- The minimum to rent in the United States with EURO is 21-24 years of age and held license for a minimum of 1 year.
- If between the ages of 21 to 24 only the following categories can be rented – ECAR-FCAR, CFAR, CTAR IFAR, ILAE, ISAR, MBAR, MVAR, SSAR
- A Young Driver Surcharge of between $14.99 and $35.00 per day, maximum of $279.98 per rental, applies for drivers between the ages of 21 to 24 in the United States. For an explanation of our vehicle groups, please visit our fleet guide.
All drivers (including any additional drivers) have to be in possession / have held a “valid” driver’s license for a minimum of 12 months to rent with Sixt in the United States.
IMPORTANT – Further restrictions apply dependent on driver age and type of vehicle required. Please refer to the FAQ’s on ‘Rules and Regulations – Question 1 ‘How old do I need to be to drive a hire vehicle?’ for further information.
- A valid driver’s license for all named drivers, valid for a minimum of 12 months. Driver’s licenses printed in non-Roman alphabet (Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, etc.) must be accompanied by an international driver’s license. Any driver’s license originating from countries not part of the international driver’s license treaty must also be accompanied by an official translation.
- Renters not from the United States must provide a valid, government issued, secondary form of identification such as a passport.
- For local renters using a debit card, two utility bills will be required.*
Some offices do offer an out of hours pick up/drop off service. Please review the branch information available on the ‘Branches’ page for clarification: click here to find out more.
All rentals are charged based on a 24 hour billing period. Only when a rental exceeds a cycle of 24 hours will any additional day(s) charge apply.
Sixt provides all customers an hour grace period from the time the vehicle was picked which and is shown on your rental agreement. Charges will be incurred if the return time is to fall outside that hour grace period.
To view our full terms and conditions please visit our Terms and conditions page.
Sixt operates on a strict non-smoking policy in all of our vehicles. We will enforce a special cleaning charge to the renter if a returned vehicle requires special treatment to remove any evidence of smoking.
If a customer chooses to not take coverage with Sixt then it is required to note their insurance provider in the insurance field as well as their policy number. For rentals outside the USA please see the respective terms for the hiring country via our rental information page.
The renter of the vehicle is solely responsible for any traffic offense fines and related administration fees incurred during their rental period.
Yes, but the additional driver must be listed on the rental contract. The second driver must also provide their “valid” driving license for inspection before becoming a named driver on the rental and this can be done at any Sixt location throughout the rental period. An additional fee of $11.99 USD per day, maximum of $99.99 USD per rental, would apply.**
Our core weekend prices start from 12:00 on Friday to 09:00 on the following Monday. For commercial vehicles weekend prices start from the time that your pick-up location opens on Friday to 09:00hrs on the following Monday.
Sixt US offers one-way rentals between select locations, and a one-way fee may apply.Please see the respective terms of rental for full details and other countries terms via this page.
No, at the time of booking the drivers name must be provided along with the credit card used for payment. The name listed on the credit card used must also match the driver’s name.
We provide all rental with a full tank of fuel, therefore it must be return with a full tank of fuel to avoid additional charges as specified on the rental contract. In addition Sixt offers their customers the option of pre-paid fuel. By opting to pre-pay the fuel in advance you may return the vehicle with less than a full tank of fuel.
Sixt provides the relevant contact details on the rental agreement provided to you upon pickup. Contact information will also be provided for International/European breakdown as long as Sixt have given authorization for the vehicle to be taken abroad. If a vehicle is supplied by one of our Partners contact information for the breakdown will be available in the vehicle.
If paying by credit card one extension can be requested by calling our Contact Centre at: +1 888 749 8227. Any extensions over the length of five days must be done in-store.